General dentistry and preventative dental care in Calgary involve the overall health of your teeth and gums. Often called family dentists, general dentists aim to identify, prevent, and treat issues before they progress. Preventative care typically includes a professional cleaning done by a dental hygienist followed by an oral health evaluation by your dentist.
General dentistry can detect and treat:
- Tooth decay (cavities)
- Bad breath
- Gum disease
- Tooth sensitivity
Scheduling a dental appointment every 6 months is recommended. Additional appointments and treatment may be scheduled depending on the health of your teeth and gums.
General dentistry at Cambrian Dental
General dentistry and preventative care in Alberta include the following services. At Cambrian Dental, we are certified and experienced in each area.
- Family Dental - Every stage of life requires a different approach to oral care. For example, we take a look at teeth and jaw development as well as cavity prevention in children. Braces and orthodontic procedures are common in the teen and adolescent years, while young and older adults are focused on maintaining healthy gums and oral care. While they don’t fall under general dentistry, many adults are interested in cosmetic procedures or require restorative treatments.
- Children’s Dentistry - During the early years, children grow at a rapid rate. This is where we can identify jaw development issues and prevent potential oral health problems, including teeth grinding, thumb sucking, crowded teeth, and more. Children’s dentistry also involves a certain approach to help ease anxiety and maintain a comfortable environment for children.
- Dental Cleaning - A professional cleaning is an important part of preventative care, as it includes removing plaque and tartar buildup as well as a fluoride treatment to prevent cavities. Patients should schedule a cleaning at least once a year.
- Oral Exams - Following a general cleaning, your dentist will conduct a routine oral exam that includes checking the overall health of your teeth and gums. During the exam, your dentist will identify problem areas, diagnose issues, and recommend the right treatment before the problem persists.
- Dental Cavities - It’s important to treat tooth decay early on before it progresses and becomes a much bigger issue, such as a severe toothache, infection, or tooth extraction. During your appointment, your dentist will offer tips on how to prevent cavities.
- Root Canals - Inside your teeth is a soft tissue called pulp. When this becomes infected or inflamed, it can lead to pain and swelling that may require a root canal treatment. Many patients are nervous about the pain associated with root canal treatments, but advancements in dentistry have allowed root canals to be virtually pain-free. In fact, it relieves patients of the pain they experience with infection or inflammation.
- Tooth Coloured Fillings - When you have a cavity, treatment is needed to fill the tiny holes. Composite fillings are discrete, blending in with the natural colour of your teeth. You won’t even know it’s there!
- Wisdom Tooth Extractions - Wisdom tooth extractions are common and can help avoid painful issues later on. Your dentist will perform an X-ray to determine if wisdom teeth are impacted and remove them before they cause any pain. Patients receive general anesthesia and can request other sedation options.
- Sealant Treatments - Sealants help prevent cavities by blocking out food particles. Children as young as 6 years old without tooth decay or fillings can get sealant treatments.
- Bad Breath Care - Bad breath can occur for a number of different reasons, including smoking, eating certain foods, dry mouth, and gum disease, to name a few. Your dentist will first need to identify if there is an underlying condition that is causing bad breath before recommending the proper treatment or next steps.
- Mouth Guards - Mouth guards are recommended when playing sports, night guards to prevent grinding, or as an extra precaution for dental protection. During a mouth guard appointment, your dentist will take measurements for a custom, comfortable fit.
- Oral Cancer Screening - We want to detect oral cancer in its early stages when it can be successfully treated. If there are signs and symptoms of oral cancer present your dentist will conduct an oral cancer screening to rule out or diagnose the condition.
- Dental Sedation - For some patients, a dental treatment comes with extreme anxiety and nervousness. A compassionate dentist will speak to you about dental sedation options to ensure that you have as comfortable and smooth of an experience as possible. At Cambrian, we are trained and certified to apply dental sedation, including oral and IV sedation.
- Periodontal Treatment - Periodontal disease is an inflammation or infection of the gums, also referred to as gingivitis in its early stages. Periodontal treatments include professional cleaning, deep scaling and root planing, tissue regeneration, laser therapy, and pocket elimination surgery.
- Orthodontics - The goal of orthodontic procedures is to straighten the teeth not only for cosmetic reasons but to prevent potential issues that come with a misaligned bite and crooked teeth. At Cambrian Dental, we offer full braces, mini braces, and invisible aligners.
To sum it up, general dentistry and preventative care is part of an excellent oral hygiene routine so you can enjoy healthy teeth and gums for life!
At Cambrian Dental, we provide dentist and physician services for families, children, adults and the elderly, making sure everyone’s needs are met. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!